November 11, 2019

Commonwealth Ridge

Dist: 6.9km    Elev: 640m    Time: 4h    Difficulty: 5/5

After a couple productive weekends spent on home improvement projects, I was eager to take advantage of the beautiful Remembrance Day long weekend weather with a solo trip to the mountains. I decided on Commonwealth Ridge after seeing pictures from other trip reports and for the relatively low avalanche risk this time of year. However, despite my preparation, I grossly underestimated the demands of this route in the winter.

The unofficial trail started along Spray Lakes Highway, about 2km south from Engadine Lodge, crossing gravel flats before ascending through dense brush. This wasn't too bad given the leafless trees this time of year, but I still decided to remove my outer jacket to avoid ripping the softer fabric. A few old cutlines offered brief reprieve from the bushwhacking yet the majority of the trip was climbing through dense viewless forest. Views began to open up as the trees thinned near the ridge, but this also meant significantly deeper snow. Having failed to pack my snowshoes, at times I was literally buried to my chest in sugary powder and having to use nearby branches to pull myself through the snow just to gain a single stride forward. This lasted for over half an hour and proved exceedingly draining (hence the 5/5 difficulty rating) and I seriously considered turning back short of my objective due to physical exhaustion. Unsure whether to attribute it stubbornness or stupidity, something got me to the top.

The rocky ridge was wind-swept from accumulating snow, providing a firm foundation for exploration and photos. After some much needed calories and an additional layer for warmth, I was soon reminded why I do these kinds of trips -views in all directions were fantastic and the ridge offered a unique in-your-face perspective of prominent nearby peaks. I wasn't able to explore the entire ridge due to the unexpectedly lengthy ascent, but I managed to linger long enough to appreciate the beauty and to reflect on the freedom I have to do these kinds of things because of the sacrifices made by our veterans. I eventually returned the way I came, retracing my steps and feeling grateful for and humbled by another great day in the Canadian wild.


Crossing the flats with the long treed Commonwealth Ridge behind.

Views as I struggled towards the top.

Made it! Looking back from the wind-swept ridge.

Climbing higher. Spray Lakes Highway below. 

Panorama from where I turned around, including Commonwealth Peak, Mt Smuts, and Tent Ridge.

Close-up views of The Fist.

Selfie before ascending back into the trees.

1 comment:

  1. As I'm reading the description of your struggle I was thinking 'and this is your idea of fun?' :) However, more power to you for persevering and your photos are gorgeous. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete