February 24, 2021

Porcupine Ridge

Dist: 10km    Elev: 670m    Time: 3h    Difficulty: 3/5

Another solo outing to take advantage of my remaining "personal leave" from work. I'm not exactly sure how these days are intended to be used but a weekday in the mountains always feels like a win and Melinda graciously offered to hold down the fort with Ivy. Despite its popularity I chose this close-to-home objective in hopes of getting some family time before and after my hike, banking on lower crowds mid-week. Thankfully, both worked out nicely.

Starting from the Wasootch trailhead I followed an obvious and well-packed path through light forest, along partially frozen Porcupine Creek, and eventually up towards the ridge. The climb here was very icy and equally steep but manageable with microspikes. Views from the top were surprisingly good given the front-range location, most noteworthy being the interesting rock pinnacles and Mt Lorette across Highway 40. I had originally planned to explore more of the ridge but high winds and unavoidable snowy/icy scrambling sections encouraged me to reconsider. After the usual photo/snack routine I returned the way I came feeling quite content.

Porcupine Ridge fit the bill perfectly for today's agenda and, as always, I drove home refreshed and full of gratitude for this beautiful country and my supportive wife for encouraging me to get out and enjoy it.


Walking along Porcupine Creek. My objective is the sharp peak in the distance.

On the ridge. The rocks on the right look massive in person. 

Wasootch Ridge runs parallel to the south.

Looking back. Big views of Mt Lorette to the west.

Nearing the top. The photo above was taken from the high point in the distant middle.

Impressive rock pinnacles.

View from the high point where I decided to turn around. Beautiful blue bird day!


No comments:

Post a Comment