June 13, 2019

Lady MacDonald, Mount

Dist: 10.9km    Elev: 1325m    Summit: 8547'    Time: 4.5h    Difficulty: 4/5

The alignment of a hot and dry weather forecast and an earlier-than-expected end to the workday had me heading west to bag another evening peak. Mount Lady MacDonald was the last of the four "Canmore Quad" summits (Lady Mac, EEOR, Ha Ling, Grotto) on my hit list, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to check it off. Also, as I was unsuccessful in recruiting a hiking buddy, the consistent cell reception on this trail was a welcomed safety measure.

The trail begins at the Cougar Creek parking lot in Canmore on the north side of Highway 1, following the creek for a few hundred meters before plunging into forest and beginning a steep and unyielding climb towards the summit. Frequent breaks in the trees offered motivating views of the Bow Valley and surrounding peaks, and after about an hour and a half I arrived at the site of an abandoned tea house construction project, which served as a nice spot to take a water break and a few photos.

From the tea house platform the summit ridge is gained by ascending a steep and tedious scree slope, but the visual rewards from the top are well worth the effort. The true summit is then obtained by traversing a narrow rocky ridge requiring careful footing and frequent hands-on stabilization. I found this section quite engaging, yet I can understand why many choose to forgo it. After soaking in the views and snapping numerous pics from the top, I returned the way I came. On the way down I noticed a foreign sensation on my neck and arms and realized I had remembered to pack everything I needed except... sunscreen. Needless to say my skin was a bit tender on the drive home, yet I couldn't also help feeling like this was a sign that summer may have finally arrived to the Rockies!


Lady Mac summit from the Cougar Creek parking lot.

First views. East End of Rundle summit in distant left.

Looking back, Grotto Mountain on left and Canmore below.

Tea house site below Lady Mac summit.

One last push.

Nice views from the platform.

Nearing the ridge.

On the ridge, summit ahead.

Summit panorama, looking southeast.

Summit cairn, looking northwest.

Summit selfie.

Returning along the ridge.

Down the scree.

Back into the trees.

Three Sisters from the Cougar Creek trailhead.

Lady Mac from Highway 1 at Canmore.


 

3 comments:

  1. OK, I don't get it. Hasn't the main photo on your blog for a few years now been the same photo you have here as your "summit selfie"? Or did it just look very similar and I'm old and confused? Great photos at any rate, and I especially enjoyed the views of Mount Lougheed and the Three Sisters in the distance...definitely added perspective of the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim! And you’re correct my home page photo is from this post, I updated it after this trip. Good catch!

      Delete
  2. Which means the photo on the home page was different before this trip, yet I thought it was the same as now! So my observation skills aren't so good after all; I can only hope your pose had been similar and that's why I thought it was the same :)

    ReplyDelete