November 28, 2018

Mount Kidd Lookout

Dist: 6.6km    Elev: 710m    Summit: 7217'    Time: 3h    Difficulty: 3/5

In celebration of passing my oral ethics registration exam, I decided to play hookie for the afternoon and drive straight from the university to the mountains for a solo adventure. After having committed to completing the exam before indulging in any November hiking trips, I was eager to get back outdoors!

Given the short days and my late post-exam start time I needed a destination that was close to home to avoid trekking in the dark. A quick Google search indicated the trail to the decommissioned Mt. Kidd fire lookout may be an ideal objective; however, conscious of time and unable to locate the described hiking route, I ended up simply pointing myself towards where I estimated the lookout site to be and then optimistically bushwhacking up the steep grassy slopes. Luckily, I managed to locate my objective with ample time to enjoy the spectacular views beneath a dramatic late-afternoon sky before reluctantly returning home. Another short yet very sweet trip for the memory books!


Bushwhacking. Looking north.

More bushwhacking. Looking south.

At last, Mt. Kidd comes into view!

The site of the old fire lookout, beneath impressive Mt Kidd.


Exploring the ridge. Highway 40 and the Kananaskis golf course below.

Looking back at the ridge. The lookout site is on the furthest bump.

Mt Kidd from Highway 40. The lookout ridge can be seen below and to the right of the main peak.

 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on successfully passing your oral ethics registration exam...is that the final "hoop"? Now I know why I wasn't seeing any new postings for a month. Loved the multiple perspectives of Mt. Kidd from the old fire lookout and then from the highway indicating where the old fire lookout is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mim! Yes, the last major hoop. Now I just require a few more hours with clients, which should be complete by the end of January!

      Delete