January 27, 2018

Cox Hill

Dist: 11.8km    Elev: 780m    Summit: 7244'    Time: 3h    Difficulty: 3/5

When Melinda was called into work (on a Saturday!), I decided to make a last-minute solo trip to the hills. Given the cloudy forecast I resolved to pursue physical challenge instead of big vistas; I even convinced myself that I wouldn't take any pictures on this hike.  Spoiler alert: I changed my mind. In addition to the moderately steep trail, Cox Hill also offered surprisingly beautiful views of surrounding foothills and distant peaks and I just couldn't help myself from snapping a few photos on my phone.

Trail Description:
Park in the Dawson Equestrian parking lot, just before the locked winter gate on Highway 68 (Powderface Trail). The trail parallels Jumpingpound creek for about 5 minutes before crossing it, then climbing at a moderate grade for most of the way to the top with only a couple short level sections. The route is mostly in forest, yet with just enough viewpoints to keep motivation levels up. I chose to turn around at the east summit due to limited time, but the west summit can also be achieved by following the ridge a little further. I would like to return to further explore this beautiful area.


Bridge over Jumpingpound Creek.

Views start to open up.

More climbing.

More views.

Final ascent.

Looking back (west) from final ascent.

South panorama from Cox Hill east summit.

Summit cairn. Moose Mountain behind.

Moose Mountain.

West panorama from east summit.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you changed your mind about the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Mim! It's always fun to look back on and relive these adventures.

    ReplyDelete